Crawl Space Drain Systems
- Dig the trench 5-6″ deep or deep enough to keep the drain pipe level and below the crawl space soil line
- Do not put dirt on top of the drain tile, leave it open or covered with pea stone
- Do not dig the trench at a slope to the basin, this will cause erosion and your pipe will be to deep for the basin
- You should bury the entire drain pipe in pea stone if:
- it does not have a “sock” on the pipe.
- the soil is mostly clay.
- you are concerned about clogging
- If the drain pipe does have a sock (which it should for this application) then stone is not necessary on all of the pipe. This is because the sock does part of stones job by filtering soil.
*This advice does not apply to every job, everywhere. Please check with your local building codes and local experts for final design.